Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The re-appropriation of the "N" word.


The word originally came from the Spanish and Portuguese term "Negro" which means black. Ever since the 1600's people would use this word to describe black slaves. During 1995 the word was normally used by Americans during and after the trial of O.J Simpson. In my opinion the re-appropriation of this word has hindered black people in Canada. To this day I believe that if someone was to call a black person by this word, it wouldn't be acceptable. The fact that this word has been re-appropriated really bugs me because of the past use of the word. Years ago, blacks were treated like dirt, were called by this word and were terribly used. In my opinion, and many other people's opinions, there is a difference between a white person using this word, and a black person. This is because I, and many people believe that it shows ignorance and insensitivity to racial culture and history when a white person uses the word. A common saying in todays world between people using this word is 'My nigger'. I often hear this being said between two black friends or from a black person to a white person. I find that this is appropriate because it's referring to the word as something positive. I've also heard many negative uses of the word during fights or arguments, which I believe is absolutely wrong. The re-appropriation of this word in my opinion isn't necessary, judging from what has happened to blacks in the past.

2 comments:

  1. Watch out for the apostrophes...
    "todays world"

    But you did mention that it was good when used between two black people...so, is it good?

    Check this out...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2wnmaRxwqE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sort of think it's alright between black people using it. but overall, I don't think the word should be used at all. It just isn't necessary.

    ReplyDelete